3 Arrested After Terrorizing Truck Drivers With Paintballsby Jana Ritter - Published: 2/24/2016
If truck drivers don’t already have enough to worry about driving heavy tractor trailers loaded down with all types of freight and trying to make deliveries on time, three people in Indiana decided it would be fun to make their job a whole lot worse by firing paintballs at them, randomly on the highway at night.
January 05, 2018 - Trucker Faces 20 Years After Pleading Guilty To Smuggling Alien Found Dead In Locked Toolbox
January 02, 2018 - Police Identify 2 Oregon Truck Drivers Killed In Fiery Head-On Crash
December 27, 2017 - Iowa First Of Eight States To Debut New Truck Parking Information System
At least three truck drivers fell victim to the dangerous game when they were driving down Interstate 65 North in Clark County, Indiana at night and suddenly saw a gun barrel pointed at them. Fortunately, when the shots were fired the truck drivers discovered that it just ended up being a paintball gun, but it was enough to scare the heck out of them. On the evening of February 19, the Clark County Sheriff's office received a number of calls from truck drivers and motorists with similar reports of suspects in a blue or black Honda driving up the interstate and shooting paint balls at tractor-trailers. In the three reported cases where the semis were actually hit, the suspects had fired at the driver's side window. The Clark County Sheriff’s office was able to track down the vehicle and arrested the three occupants. "What you had is paintballs that were slamming on the drivers side window of these trucks," Clark County Prosecutor Jeremy Mull said. "This is at night time, it's dark and they are hearing these projectiles hitting the windows of their trucks not knowing what it is. In fact, one of those semi truck drivers said he almost had a wreck."
The case is a reminder of the recent ongoing saga of the Phoenix freeway shootings that started late last summer and went on until the arrest of Leslie Merritt Jr. on September 19th. The 21-year-old has been accused in 4 of 11 freeway shootings that terrorized Arizona residents and is facing life in prison if convicted on all charges. The most recent development in the case occurred last Friday, when Merritt Jr. lost a bid to get the case sent back to a grand jury. However, the judge did rule in his favor by granting his attorneys bid for more information regarding a series of similar shootings last year. The judge ordered the state to turn over certain reports of other freeway shooting investigations and other key pieces of evidence within 30 days. "It is our intent to show that the DPS has ignored other criminal freeway shootings by not investigating them at all, or simply dismissing them as irrelevant. Why? Because now that Mr. Merritt is in custody it would be inconvenient to their case to see that someone else is responsible," said the defense. The case is set to go to trial this summer.